Categories

Sunday, September 27, 2015

#9 of 36: O, Discontented Mary, A Review of The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This choice of book confirms my addiction to the postapocalyptic genre. Incidentally, I bought this book at a second-hand bookshop. I liked the premise based on the blurb. Oveall, it may sound like just another zombie book but I liked the lyrical quality of the storytelling.

One doesn't know how far into the future this story is. All the reader is given are glimpses of social experiments in trying to live with a zombie outbreak (the zombies are called "the unconsecrated" by the very puritan-like community led by the Sisterhood) as evidenced by previously inhabited other villages similar to the one the main character used to live in. I was just a bit annoyed by the main character, Mary, who is always discontented. First she's hankering after Travis, the romantic interest, who is betrothed to her friend, Cass, and when she gets Travis (only slightly damaged), she starts hankering after the sea. I was hoping there was more into the origins of villages with roman numerals. Sadly, that doesn't get resolved in this book. I'm not sure I should move on with the series as well. I'm still thinking about it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog