Categories

Monday, September 28, 2015

#10 of 36: Reading a Tour de Force, a Review of Smaller and Smaller Circles by F. H. Batacan

Smaller and Smaller CirclesSmaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think this is a tour de force by F.H. Batacan. I read this as an assignment for a writing workshop (still for October) called #HeistClub (crime writing). I was really blown away by this book. The author made a serial killer entirely plausible in this book while exploring all that's wrong in Philippine society. All the characters were strong and believable and I was moved to tears several times, especially when Batacan described the families of Payatas. It's all too true and the book brims with the author's palpable anger. This is one of those books that's un-put-down-able. If I get only a smidgen of Batacan's storytelling powers, I think I'll be able to write a decent crime story. I bought both the Kindle version of the book (pre-ordered) and the print version. It's that good. I hope to read more stories with Fr. Gus Saenz (it was nice seeing him again in Manila Noir) and Fr. Jerome Lucero. Or just more stories from F. H. Batacan.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog