Categories

Saturday, September 26, 2015

#8 of 36: A Quick Read on Principles of Unschooling, a Review of Unschooling Rules by Clark Aldrich

Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know about Schools and Rediscover EducationUnschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know about Schools and Rediscover Education by Clark Aldrich
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a great introduction to unschooling. It's not a step-by-step manual but rather a series of manifestos to help the parent or educator understand the principles of unschooling. There's a lovely anecdote in the foreword by Jeff Sandefer which captures the unease that I, too, felt as a parent assessing traditional education. I won't give it away but it's worth reading because of the emotional connection it can make to both parent and teacher. As a parent, I have a few bullets to work on (which is detailed in the last chapter, Places to Start) like: looking into internships, apprenticeships, and interesting jobs as alternatives to term papers, textbooks, and tests. Two of the action points that I've taken to heart are: (1) go outdoors more often and (2) expose more (teach less). Just these two have already enriched our homeschooling life. I borrowed a hard copy from a Human Heart Nature store in Pasig and I eventually got myself an e-book version so I can quickly review the contents as my husband and I go over our homeschooling plans.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog