Categories

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

#11 of 36: Survival is Insufficient, a Review of Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Station ElevenStation Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

How appropriate that this is book number 11 for me! I really loved reading this book. I've mentioned it elsewhere: I'm really attracted to postapocalyptic/ dystopian books. I've been trying to understand why. Maybe it's because I know it will be coming soon, given the damage on this earth and the exponential quality of any human intervention. Anyway, this was a lovely read. I loved how the loops tied nicely together, in the end. I also loved the essential quote from Star Trek that drives The Traveling Symphony: "Because survival is insufficient." One sees how little things, little accidents become mythic in nature after some time has passed (like The Museum of Civilization). There's also some metafiction going on with the titular Station Eleven as a story within the story, a really nice touch. All in all, it was a great ride, full of little moments of insight and many threads interweaving. It's not a Mad Max version of the future...just one in which art survives.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog