Categories

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

#12 of 36: A Much-Beloved Companion, a Review of Mindfulness on the Go by Jan Chozen Bays

Mindfulness on the Go (Shambhala Pocket Classic): Simple Meditation Practices You Can Do AnywhereMindfulness on the Go (Shambhala Pocket Classic): Simple Meditation Practices You Can Do Anywhere by Jan Chozen Bays
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I bought this book on a whim because it was so small and so promising (the keywords were: simple, do anywhere). It was true to its word. This will not be the first time I will read this book. This was actually my "banyo" read (sorry, TMI!) for the whole of August and September. My favorite practices were: 1) using my left hand (non-dominant hand) to brush my teeth (that was all I could manage for August), 2) feeling the bottoms of my feet. It's very interesting how relaxing it can be to put one's awareness in one's feet. We are all so used to centering our attention in the head or the heart (or even the breath), it's very refreshing to feel one's feet entirely. 3) When eating, just eat. It's very easy to use eating time as a time for talking or doing something else (like reading or browsing through Facebook!). Eating to just eat helped me pay attention to being full. 4) Just three breaths. This is a very easy mindfulness exercise. It just takes the space of three breaths and it can instantly bring me into the present. 5) Being present to the temperature. I notice that when I feel the slightest discomfort, I try to change the temperature (put on the fan or put on aircon) but actually adjusting to the temperature is a good mindfulness exercise. After a few minutes, it's not as bad as one thinks. This book will be a much-beloved companion in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog