Categories

Sunday, June 28, 2015

#6 of 36: Love and Timing: A Review of One Day by David Nicholls

One DayOne Day by David Nicholls
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Love and Timing: A Review of One Day by David Nicholls

I read this at a fevered pace during a company outing. It was my pre-reward for having finished a novella manuscript (the actual reward was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. What is this complex reward system, you might ask. But I digress!). I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. Em, of course, was the one I was rooting for. Dex was always a mess. There are really some people who bring out the best in others. And that's Em.

The story is a catalog of missed opportunities (all the way to the end though I won't say more because I won't put any spoilers here). Life is full of them. But one must go along and make the most of what one has. That's what Em does through and through. She makes a lot of mistakes. She actually make light of them (like that delightful, all too real passage on her job at a dead end Mexican restaurant). But she doesn't drown in them. She goes on. She finds her groove. Add Em to the mix and everything will be fine (or you'll have a laugh, at least). She's the kind of person I'd like to be friends with.

And of course, it's sad, too. But I won't dwell on the sadness. I will, instead, focus on that lovely kiss on St. Swithin's Day which promises a life of sweetness...but not in the way that one expects.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog