Categories

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Year Made Up Of One Breakfast: A Review of Breakfast With Socrates by Robert Rowland Smith

Breakfast with Socrates: An Extraordinary (Philosophical) Journey Through Your Ordinary DayBreakfast with Socrates: An Extraordinary (Philosophical) Journey Through Your Ordinary Day by Robert Rowland Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Just because it took me almost a year to read this book...it doesn't mean that the book's content was the problem. It was probably my philosophy-resistant mind. Haha!

Some of my more memorable moments reading the book:
- Remembering a childhood experience of waking up early and watching the sky change color from black to orange to blue
- Encountering one of my favorite philosophers, Mikhail Bakhtin, again in the chapter on going to the gym (of all things! which I currently do!). "To Bakhtin, the body was a carnival (the very word refers to flesh), a festival with the power to turn the world upside down and license the licentiousness of physical abandon."
- An affirmation of my belief that homo sapiens is particularly adept in water, "a born Aquarian" which relates to a book I am working on
- Encountering Masaru Emoto's research which says that "water is a mirror reflecting our mind" which I find both eerie and beautiful
- Encountering the philosophy of the posthuman (and the transhuman) which I took up in "eLearning and Digital Cultures" (University of Edinburgh via Coursera.org)

Well, I don't understand why it took me so long to read this book. Perhaps, if I had the physical copy of this book it would have made a difference (the way it did for me when I was reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society).

Overall, I'm glad I read this book as it expanded my thinking. It made me more conscious of the underpinnings of my everyday activities and it helped me be more *mindful* in general. It was a great companion to my other book club selection, The Happiness Project. Both books contributed greatly to a year of mindfulness.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog