Categories

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Hooks



I'm obsessed with them. S hooks, 3M hooks, Command hooks, carabiners. Hooks for my clothes, for my bags, for the calendar at home, for our family mission, for my dressing robe.

And hooks are also a writer's device.

I just finished several episodes of Modern Love (Amazon and NYT) and Watchmen (HBO) while reading Watchmen, the graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Fascinating combination! To be precise, just finished episode 5 of Watchmen, "Little Fear of Lightning," and it ends with a love song, Some Enchanted Evening, which reminded me of all the love stories in Modern Love and which made me feel awful for Janey Slater, Laurie Blake, and, by association, Angela Abar.

It made me realize that a writer is like Doctor Manhattan. A writer is a god who knows the beginning, the middle, and the end. And not necesssarily in that order. To a writer, the whole story can occur in an instant -- everything in a kernel, in a single hook.

And then she reels it in. And then she reels *you* in. That's the nature of story. Regardless of "what really happened" and regardless of attribution or source, the story is the story. The story is the gift that was given and can never be taken back.

###

Photo credit: Tatiana Rodriguez on Unsplash

No comments:

Search This Blog