Categories

Friday, September 27, 2013

On The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this book. I also observed something about myself as a reader. I had the e-Book version of Guernsey in my iPad for quite some time but it was only when I bought the paperback in a second hand book shop that I actually started reading it. Strange. I enjoyed it more as a paperback even though I never really had problems with reading a book on my tablet before.

Well, on to the book itself. It was the kind of book that I was stretching out because I wanted to savor it. I would read a letter or two every night and I would look forward to going home and reading it. So, no, it wasn't a page turner for me. It was more like "comfort reads" if there is such a thing (a read that is similar to comfort food). I loved every little detail. I loved Kit and the way she was not so easy to love. I loved Booker trying to pass off as genteel. I loved Dawsey and his quiet ways. I loved Juliet and how she hadn't settled (well I won't give away spoilers here). It's a straightforward tale and it's easy to love. Charming is the word. It's like watching Downton Abbey and observing all the little nuances including the differences in class.

What I loved most was the literary society itself. While they faked it till they made it...I love how *reading* made a difference in their lives. Each of them had their own choices and how they were not timid about saying that they loved or hated a book. And while Juliet was the heroine, it was Elizabeth McKenna who was the soul of the Guernsey Literary Society and I loved her too for being the kind of woman she was.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Search This Blog