Categories

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

NaPoWriMo#24: A Life In Photographs

NaPoWriMo or National Poetry Writing Month, is an annual project in which participating poets attempt to write a poem a day for the month of April.

A Life In Photographs

By Justine C. Tajonera

It didn't happen if there weren't any pictures.
Last December, there was a Christmas tree
behind us. We were all smiling, almost all of us,
anyway. In the tableau, there are little details
that we might have missed: a Royce paper bag
in the foreground, stars and Santa Claus decor
lining the stairs in the background. The picture
is slightly blurry but it's the smiles that count.
Our kids will all be older in another photograph
by the end of this year. But there, floating in
an album on Facebook, is one of our happiest
moments. I am astonished at the life I have
lived here, in digital, on a cloud. No, here is my
life, tagged and organized by folder. Here is
the shell of my life. I take a breath and imagine
a crash, a virus, a new business model that
will wipe this all away. No, in the end, my life
will flash before my eyes and it won't look
like this. Not like this at all.

No comments:

Search This Blog