Categories

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sacred Vessel

















by Justine C. Tajonera

This body is easy
to abuse:
tired beyond its limits,
eyes dimming over time,
hungers and appetites
denied or
indulged.

It is easy to forget
the difference between
this body
and my-
self.

The hands extending
towards my son
could easily be me
but is
not completely
myself.

What am I if I am
not my embrace,
my comforting words,
my endearments
and my presence?

I look at myself
in the mirror:
acknowledging the vessel
that holds
my soul,

the burden and the
privilege
of being
em-
bodied

inviting the envy of
gods and the pity
of angels.

One day, I will
take my leave
and ask nothing
more
of my body.

Until then,
I hold my palms
to my eyes, easing
the strain of
living, breathing,
remembering what is
sacred.

(Feb. 16, 2010)
Image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyholland/3504732856/

No comments:

Search This Blog