Categories

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Word


















by Justine C. Tajonera

As I watch my sleeping son,
I try to see my life stripped of speculation.
What if I did not have to wonder
about the future
because I was responsible
for everything I could do
today?

The question follows me
as I sit in front of my cup
of coffee,
scared of putting myself
behind my
word.

For it seems a grave thing:
my word.

What is it worth?
Only my life
it seems.

This is what I have.
This is what I can give
to you.
Only this, the things that I
have promised,
the things that I have
created, made
real.

I am not putting my life,
my son's life
in someone else's
hands.

No, I cannot hide
there.

I put them behind
my word.

(Feb. 10, 2010)
Image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/korephotos/2944049443/

No comments:

Search This Blog