Categories

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Salad Days

















by Justine C. Tajonera

Over lunch, I watch their
youthful laughter,
their hopeful intensity
over love.

It's beautiful to be
in the middle of
their passion, caught
in refrains of
songs about
Romeo and
Juliet.

I look over my
shoulder and
see the smitten girl
that I was,
I'd never have cared
if anyone told me
that youth was wasted
on the young.

I remember sitting
at a hall in school,
talking earnestly with
a young man,
about the nature
of time,
realizing as I sat
there

that each moment
was a choice,
irretrievable,
already half-spent
as it arrived.

I imagine a life
made up of first
times.

(Jan. 21, 2010)
Image of Romeo and Juliet from http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/a/a3/20060626175442!DickseeRomeoandJuliet.jpg

No comments:

Search This Blog