Categories

Monday, August 24, 2009

Celebrating Raksha Bandhan

By Justine C. Tajonera

This red thread
tied to my wrist
is tied around my heart,
is tethered to God's
very hand.
This red thread
binds me
and anchors me
to my dreams,
to dreams that
are still to come.
This thread
is tied to the wind
that allows me
to fly.
This thread
ties me
to my commitments,
my promises,
my word.
This thread is all
the strength
and fragility of
my life,
so easy to break,
yet so resilient,
divinely protected
and strong.

Raksha Bandhan (the bond of protection in Hindi, Punjabi, Oriya, Assamese and most other Indian languages) is a Hindu festival, which celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters. It is celebrated on the full moon of the month of Shraavana (Shravan Poornima).
Vier and I were able to celebrate Raksha Bandhan at Brahma Kumaris last Saturday (Aug. 22). The celebration was modified to honor our bond with God.

No comments:

Search This Blog