Categories

Saturday, December 19, 2020

Winter Writing Sanctuary 2.5, Taking a moment, Spark 10




Peace on Earth

Beneath this mask
my words are muffled.
I am careful not 
to lean in too
closely
to hear 
your voice. 

Even my father,
who has survived, 
miracles of miracles, 
I keep two arms-
lengths away 
from me at 
all times. 

How shall we celebrate
without embraces
this year? What
language do we use
to hold each 
other’s hearts 
close as we keep
ourselves apart?

This year of divisions
has made our bubbles
so smothering
and small. 

Wrapped around
four candles, 
one lit, my
family and I 
sing, “O, come,
o, come, 
Emmanuel.”

Elsewhere,
little candles
are also lit, small
lanterns emerging
from muddy
floodwaters
that no one 
else will 
see. 

Beneath these masks,
we continue
to breathe
our hushed 
breaths
so that
another
can be
spared. 

Justine C. Tajonera
Image by Adam Niescioruk of Unsplash


No comments:

Search This Blog