Categories

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chagall Peering Over My Desk


by Justine C. Tajonera

I bought the art magnet
at a Guggeinheim exhibit
in Las Vegas.

I only bought it
because Chagall
was one of my mother's
favorite
artists.

But it has come
to mean
so many things:

transition through work,
three weeks in
Europe,
impossible dreams.

The Eiffel tower,
the Cubist forms,
the Janus-faced man,
the inimitable orange
tabby
watch over
my desk,
reminding me
of a different
world.

Just today
I looked back
at the window:
so many interpretations,
only one
life.

Where am I
in this little imitation
of the painting:

I thought I was
the observant
feline:

watching from
a window,
in the middle of
worlds,
unaware of being
the center
of focus.

But I am outside
the canvas
where everything is
considered,
and where anything
can be
done.

(Dec. 10, 2009)

Marc Chagall (1887-1985), a Russian-French painter, pioneer of modernism and one of the greatest figurative artists of the twentieth century. 

Image from http://keithperkins.net/2008/07/25/paris-through-the-window

No comments:

Search This Blog