Categories

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Childhood of a Hero

By Justine C. Tajonera

We walk through
a replica
of Rizal's home
in Calamba, Laguna.
As I watch my son
run through the kitchen
and the bedrooms
I imagine
Pepe
eating by the window
waiting for his
Mama
to teach him
his lessons.
I imagine him running
to his bahay kubo,
chasing around his dog,
Syria.
I smile, seeing
in my mind
my own son at home,
walking his dog,
Sparta.

A national hero
and my son
are no different
as toddlers.
They are shaped
by the love
they are
given.
They shape
the world
from the
love
of their
mothers.

Sept. 12, 2009


Bahay Kubo - traditional Filipino dwelling place. It is made out of bamboo  and held together by tree strings with dried tree leaves, coconut leaves, nipa, sasa or dried grass.

No comments:

Search This Blog